I used to be really big on buying new eyeshadow, but in the past few years, I’ve definitely stocked up on lip products more than anything. This means that I have lipsticks, glosses, pencils and balms everywhere: in my house, in my car and, of course, in my bag. Unless I’ve sized down to a small bag for the day, I always have my LeSportsac makeup case stocked with the basics, plus usually a few products floating around in my bag. I tend to rotate items periodically (a.k.a. continue adding things to the case until it’s ready to burst and then I reorganize and take things out). But, there are a few lip products that never leave their treasured spot in my bag. I thought I’d share, since they’re the ones that I wear most, by far (all pictured above, from left to right).
- Korres Lip Butter Glaze. Ever since I was introduced to the tube version of their Lip Butters (which I’ve loved for years), I’ve been a complete convert. I’m currently using the pomegranate color, which is sort of a coral-pink. It’s my go-to when my lips are chapped or if I just want something really easy without adding a lot of color.
- NARS Lip Pencil. At any given time, I have Luxembourg (a fabulous bright fuschia) and/or Rikugien (a mauve pink) in my bag. I love how easy these pencils are to apply, and that I don’t have to worry about using both a lip pencil and a lipstick — this works as both. The satin formulation — which both of these are — also has just enough of a gloss to it.
- Clinique Superbalm Moisturizing Gloss. This gloss/balm hybrid was a Christmas gift from my sister-in-law last year and, like the Korres Lip Butter, it’s great for when you want a little bit of color and a lot of moisture. The difference is that this one definitely has more of a gloss to it, so it makes a bigger impact. The color I use is the classic Black Honey, which looks scary in the tube, but is just a nice wash of color.
- Tarte Natural Lip Stain Pencil. This is another product that’s extremely easy to apply, but it’s definitely much more glossy and sheer than the NARS pencils. I go back and forth between Lust (a bright orange red) and Moody (a deep berry).
- A bold lipstick. I’m cheating a little bit here because this one does rotate a bit, but I always have a fairly dramatic lipstick in my bag for the days (or nights) that I want to make a statement. Right now I’m circulating between NARS Fast Ride, which is a dark purple but fairly sheer, and Deborah Lippmann Sexyback, a gorgeous bright fuschia that was added to my collection recently. I have a number of others in a drawer at home that make appearances from time to time.
Which lip products do you keep within arm’s reach at all times?